Harry Potter’s golden snitches can be recreated to eat as cake pops, from candy, and as truffles. I wanted to whip out a couple to top a cake (coming soon!), so I quickly crafted some from a little vanilla fondant and edible gold spray.
Here’s how to make your own edible golden snitches along with a printable pattern for wings.
In all likelihood these won’t get eaten since they’re more of a decoration, but they are totally edible. You could also carve the wings from fondant, but I find the paper wings look legit enough with WAY less work.
You can totally freehand the cutting of the snitch wings, too, but I’ve got a template in case you want to make them all the same size.
Fondant is a fun material for kids to work with, so feel free to make this a family project. Just keep the spraying by a window for a little ventilation.
Click here to download a printable template for the golden snitch wings
- 4 oz white vanilla-flavored fondant (I used Wilton)
- 1 (1.5 oz) can of gold Color Mist
- Tiny amount of vanilla frosting
- White paper
- Divide fondant into four pieces and roll into 1-inch sized balls with your hands.
- Push a toothpick into each ball and stand them into a piece of styrofoam.
- Spray balls with gold Color Mist. Let dry for five minutes and spray a second coat.
- Let dry for another 10 minutes and remove toothpicks.
- Cut out wings from a piece of paper and fold the wings up slightly. Attach each to the snitches with a small amount of frosting.
- Arrange on a cake, on cupcakes, or any place that needs a golden snitch.
If you make this recipe, share a photo and hashtag it #BIJOUXANDBITS. I’d love to see what you’re cooking!