It’s the last party food entry into my Oscar party nibbles menu! So far I’ve made spicy apricot slow cooker meatballs and glittery chocolate-covered pretzels, and now I’m all in for some boozy Champagne Jello shots.
Unflavored gelatin is an amazing thing. You can mix almost anything into it: fruit juice, soda, and of course, alcohol. For a sparkly and festive take, I’m using sparkling wine and diet soda. The recipe calls for cream soda since it makes the best color for Champagne, but I only had diet root beer on hand, so that accounts for the slightly darker color. Either way, Champagne isn’t very sweet, so if you omit the soda for water, add in sugar or another sweetener to compensate.
Instead of using soda for color, you can also add a couple of drops of food coloring. This is especially nice around the holidays. Red and green in winter, pastels for spring… you get the idea.
You can also make virgin versions by substituting non-alcoholic sparkling cider or the same amount of soda instead of sparkling wine. This is great if you have kids around since they’ll surely be eyeballing Jello.
- 2 cups hot water
- 4 unflavored gelatin packets (1 oz) (I used Knox)
- 1 bottle (12 oz) of cream soda
- 3/4 bottle (25 oz) of champagne
- Sanding sugar or sprinkles
- Boil two cups of water, and stir in gelatin. Let cool for a few minutes.
- Add cream soda (diet is fine!), and champagne.
- Refrigerate 3 - 5 hours. (or overnight)
- Using a knife or cookie cutters sprayed with cooking oil, cut into squares or shapes and set onto a tray.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to serve. When ready, dip the tops into sanding sugar or sprinkles for garnish (do it at the last minute since they may melt!)
If you make this recipe, share a photo and hashtag it #BIJOUXANDBITS. I’d love to see what you’re cooking!