With summer fully upon us here in the U.S., I’ve got hiking, biking, summer barbecues, and sunshine on my mind. So trail mix isn’t far behind in my noggin with its nuts, seeds, oats, and a little chocolate. I decided to take the idea of trail mix and make it into a healthier oatmeal trail mix cookies recipe.
If you’ve got old-fashioned oats on hand, you’re almost there to making these trail mix cookies. They form the base and then you can fill in the rest with whatever goodies you have on hand. I chose peanuts, coconut, sugar-free chocolate chips, and raisins. You could toss in pretty much any nuts, dried fruit, or small candies that you like.
The best part of these cookies is that you can toss them into your pack while hiking the trails and get a portion-controlled nugget of yum to keep you going. I replaced the sugar ingredients with sugar substitute, but you can totally sub in honey, agave nectar, or maple syrup to meet your dietary needs.
I want to put trail mix cookies into these sweet favor bags:
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar (I used stevia brown sugar blend)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp baking soda dissolved in 1 Tbsp warm water
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1 6-ounce package semisweet chocolate chips (I used sugar free)
- 1/3 cup peanuts
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a bowl, cream the butter with the sugars and beat in the egg, the baking soda mixture, the flour, the salt, and the vanilla.
- Mix in the oats, coconut, chocolate chips, peanuts, and raisins.
- Drop rounded tablespoons of the dough about 4 inches apart onto parchment-covered or greased baking sheets and flatten each with a fork to spread, about 3 inches in diameter.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a cooling rack (like this!), let cool, and enjoy!
If you make this recipe, share a photo and hashtag it #BIJOUXANDBITS. I’d love to see what you’re cooking!