Remember the lighter version of spinach and artichoke pesto I made yesterday? Oh yeah, that’s getting used today in this recipe for a mean, green pesto and avocado sandwich.
I’m using one of my favorite low carb breads from Thin Slim Foods for this particular sammie, but any crusty bread would work.
I love using avocado on a sandwich since it negates the need for any kind of butter or mayo. Not that I didn’t use the pesto as a sauce, too. Trust me, it’s there. Oh, and some hummus because well, hummus. Alright, alright it’s sauce-a-palooza.
When it’s all assembled, you’ve got a low carb, vegetarian sammie worthy of jamming in your face any day of the week. Just make sure you keep it tightly sealed if you take it to work since it can get a little messy. In a good way.
Let’s see what’s in it:
- 2 slices crusty bread of your choice
- 1/4 of an avocado
- 1 tablespoon spinach artichoke pesto (Recipe here!)
- 1 slice cheese (I used Irish cheddar, but mozzarella would be divine)
- 1 tablespoon hummus
- handful of fresh spinach
- 1 teaspoon crumbled blue or goat cheese
- Spread the hummus on one slice of bread and the pesto on the other. Layer half a slice of cheese on each of the bread slices. Layer on the spinach and avocado and sprinkle the crumbled cheese on top.
- Smoosh gently together, slice 'er up, and enjoy.