Have any of you met your match with one of these vintage-style marshmallow desserts yet this summer? These remind me of Jell-O molds and barbecues with jumpsuits and hairnets. Thankfully they don’t fall into the category of gross retro foods like ham and bananas hollandaise.
I took a fairly traditional approach with this one but cut the calories by using light whipped cream, no sugar added pie filling, and going light on the marshmallows and nuts. All the flavors are there, though, so don’t worry about it not tasting super indulgent. It absolutely does!
I love the combination of pistachio and cherry, too. Pistachio is always one of those flavors that I forget is SO good. Here’s how to make it.
- 1 8 oz container of lite or sugar free whipped cream
- 1 box sugar free instant pudding mix, cheesecake flavor (or pistachio-flavored, if you prefer)
- 1 20 oz can no sugar added cherry pie filling
- 2/3 cup mini marshmallows
- 1/8 cup shelled pistachios
- In a food processor, roughly chop the pistachios.
- Fold to combine the whipped cream, dry pudding mix, and cherry pie filling in a large bowl.
- Fold in the marshmallows and crushed pistachios.
- Garnish with extra crushed or whole pistachios and refrigerate before serving.