Mellowcreme wishes and candy corn dreams to you all (reference for all of you too young to know that reference, which is probably… all of you? I’m old, okay?).
I not-so-secretly have always loved candy corn and specifically mellowcreme pumpkins. I don’t eat many of them anymore, maybe just a couple per season, but I still enjoy their iconic look. They are uniquely Halloween-y and seeing them hit the stores (this year right at the end of August) is always a signal for me to get all pumpkin-starry-eyed. Oh hey, that calls for a creepy, pumpkin-eyed car selfie. —>
This dessert is awesome because it’s easily lightened up with sugar free options that make it less of a splurge. Plus you can put it in tiny shot glasses if you prefer. Imagine these piped into shot glasses and lined up on a tray. Party ideas, you guys!
Before and after the COLORING! Here’s the whole scoop on scooping this scooptacular dessert. Ahem. Moving on…
- 8 oz light cream cheese
- 8 oz light Cool Whip, thawed
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar substitute (like Swerve)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Orange and yellow food color
- Candy corn
- Beat cream cheese in an electric mixer until smooth.
- While mixing on low, slowly add powdered sugar substitute.
- Mix together the almond milk and vanilla extract and slowly pour into the mixture.
- Beat on medium speed until mixed.
- Gently fold Cool Whip into cream cheese mixture until just combined.
- Divide the mousse into three bowls and add a few drops of yellow into one bowl and orange into a second bowl, leaving on white. Mix well until you reach the desired color.
- Layer the mousse in clear glasses, yellow first, then orange, and finally white at the top. Garnish with as many candy corn as you like and serve chilled.