I whipped up some grilled, caramelized bananas as an impromptu breakfast to go along with this pumpkin banana bread the other day and figured I could up the yum factor even more by upping the spice game. Enter a chai spice mix.
Chai spice can have lots of variations, but I went with a classic mix: cinnamon, fennel, cardamom, allspice, cloves, and ginger. Just measure out a bit of each, give it a mix, and add to the grilling bananas. Just wait until you smell the result. My house smelled delicious for hours.
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 1 Tbsp butter, ghee, oil, or Earth Balance to make it vegan
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground fennel
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- 1/8 tsp cardamom
- Melt butter in a skillet.
- Add sliced bananas and sprinkle with sugar or sugar substitute.
- Mix spices in a small bowl and sprinkle on top of the bananas.
- Let cook until golden, flipping once to coat each side.
- Remove from heat, add any additional cinnamon as desired, and serve with cream, yogurt, ice cream, or on toast, waffles, pancakes, or anything you like!