You know what’s awesome about hummus? It’s delicious, it’s vegan, it’s infinitely adaptable, and can be used as a dip, a spread, or just eaten from a spoon over the sink. This particular hummus takes all the flavor of one of my favorite bagels… the everything bagel! That’s right, it’s everything bagel hummus.
Want to get crazy? Spread everything bagel hummus ON an everything bagel. Mind blown.
This isn’t my first hummus rodeo. I’ve made a couple more in past months that you can try:
ALL DA HUMMUS!
Okay, now let’s get back to this one. What flavors do you think of when you think of an everything bagel? I stacked a few just to remind you. Plus, I just wanted some around the house. Yum. There are poppy seeds, sesame seeds, salt, pepper, and of course, caramelized and browned onions. The savory cherry on top, amirite?
We’re taking those everything bagel flavors and injecting them straight into traditional hummus to create a super flavorful dip. For me, it’s all about the caramelized onions on top. Feel free to mix them in, but I like ’em right on top.
Make the onions as browned as you like. If you don’t have any fresh onions, feel free to sub in 1/2 of a teaspoon onion powder instead.
- 2 (19 oz) cans chickpeas, drained, rinsed, and patted dry
- 1/2 cup tahini (sesame paste, can be omitted if needed)
- 2 oz white onions, finely diced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil (plus more for drizzling)
- 4-5 Tbsp water
- 1 tsp sesame Seeds
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- Heat canola oil in a frying pan to medium heat, add the onions, and saute until browned, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Add chickpeas, tahini, garlic powder, salt, pepper, olive oil, and water to a food processor. Process until smooth and creamy, for at least a few minutes. Add more water if needed to obtain the consistency you like.
- Place hummus in a serving dish, and sprinkle with poppy seeds, sesame seeds, and browned onions. Drizzle with a small amount of olive oil right before serving.
- Serve with crackers, veggies, or spread on a sandwich.
If you make this recipe, share a photo and hashtag it #BIJOUXANDBITS. I’d love to see what you’re cooking!