Okay, this California roll bowl is my new favorite when I’m in the mood for something sushi-adjacent but don’t want to go to the trouble of actually making sushi or even buying any raw fish. As with a classic California roll, it’s got the avocado, the crab, the cucumber, the rice, even the seaweed… everything that make it yummy without any of the hassle.
The sushi rice can totally be made with dried rice according to your methods, I just used instant jasmine rice since it makes it that much easier. And easy is my middle name. Hey, not for those reasons, gutter-head. 😉
If you’re still in the mood for more Asian-inspired food after making this sushi bowl, here’s a whole archive of Asian recipes I’ve tried including carrot halwa, curry soup, curried salad, tofu ramen, and Asian pork belly loaded tater tots. Oh yes! Nom nom. Make that last one. Do it do it.
Want more recipes in your life?
- 2 cups jasmine-style instant rice
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp sugar or sugar substitute
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 oz imitation crab (or real if you prefer!)
- 1 carrot, julienne or diced
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Few slices dried seaweed (I used salted), chopped
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds
- 6 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 3 Tbsp Sriracha
- In a medium bowl, mix together sushi-style rice ingredients except for the rice itself until the sugar is dissolved. Set aside. Cook rice according to package directions and mix well with the vinegar mixture. Let cool slightly.
- In another small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise and sriracha until combined.
- For the rest of the filling: add about 1 cup of rice to two bowls. Chop or shred the crab, and layer on top of the rice along with the carrot, avocado, cucumber, dried seaweed, and sesame seeds. Top with sriracha mayo to serve.
If you make this recipe, share a photo and tag it @BIJOUXANDBITS. I’d love to see what you’re cooking!