Lemon and coconut all wrapped up in a low sugar, low carb, and gluten free little nugget? Yes, please. I like the combination of flavors here since I have most of these ingredients on hand most of the time anyway, and they just taste super refreshing together. Summer in a truffle!
Plus, I just took a few people on a tourist romp in my city of Chicago and getting back home to some pre-made healthy goodies is never a bad thing. I love seeing the city from an outsiders eyes. I shared a couple of photos on my Instagram, but will likely write up a little something about it for later in the week. Stay tuned.
This recipe calls for coconut cream which you can buy (like I did) or you can get some coconut milk pretty easily. It’s the thick, creamy portion of coconut milk that rises to the top of a can after you’ve chilled it. Just chill it overnight, open it carefully, and scoop it out. Just make sure it’s got some fat content in it or it won’t separate like that.
Here’s how I made these little guys. Just note that they are very soft at first, but firm up nicely after about 12 hours in the fridge.
- 4 ounces light cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons coconut cream (I get mind from Trader Joe's
- Pinch salt
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1.5 droppers full liquid stevia
- 2 tablespoons shredded unsweetened coconut
- Zest of 1 lemon (I used a little lime zest since I had one on hand)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Blend the cream cheese and coconut oil in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Blend in the coconut cream, salt, juice of the lemon, and stevia in with the cream cheese mixture.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons of shredded coconut and refrigerate mixture for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix the outer coating ingredients together.
- Using a 1/2 tablespoon, spoon out the mixture and form into balls to be rolled in the coating.
- Refrigerate for a few hours before serving.
Macros for 3 truffles:
Calories: 120 | Fat: 12g | Carbs: 2g | Sugar: 1.5g | Fiber: 0g