The inspiration for this healthier toasted marshmallow shake was, first, that Bath & Body Works is now slowly releasing their coveted Fall scents that we basic bishes love (especially Marshmallow Fireside… my scented bliss!). I was inspired to bring more marshmallow into my life. Second was this decadent and delicious-looking version over at fellow Chicago food blogger’s site, Honey & Birch. Jenny’s version is full of lovely ice cream and peanut butter and magic. I wanted to see if I could lighten her recipe up for a shake on which I didn’t have to splurge too much.
I added some low carb protein powder, swapped the milk for almond milk, replaced the peanut butter with a little bit of PB2 (a lighter, powdered peanut butter), added a smidge of sugar free Torani in s’mores flavor, and reduced the amount of marshmallows (even though I wanted to double them). The result is reminiscent, but easier to justify if you want to down it every day. And you just might.
I toasted my marshmallows over the flame of a stove, but feel free to use an open fire, grill, or a culinary torch. I need to snag myself one of those for some creme brulee action anyway.
The rest of the recipe is dead easy. Here’s how it’s done:
- 1/2 tbsp PB2
- 2 regular-sized marshmallows, toasted
- 1 cup unsweetened plain or vanilla almond milk
- 1 tbsp s'mores-flavored sugar free Torani syrup or 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 scoop low carb vanilla protein powder (I use Quest)
- 2-3 ice cubes
- Optional: whipped cream for topping
- Blend all of the ingredients together in a blender, leaving one toasted marshmallow to garnish the top.
- Optional: top with some whipped cream for extra yumminess.
Macros for the whole recipe:
168 calories | 5g fat | 3.5g fiber | 15.5g protein | 13.5g carbs| 12g sugar