What are sprinkles if not unicorn tracks, right? You know, like moose tracks ice cream but RAINBOW. This mug cake is inspired by the totally-not-mythical rainbow unicorn footprints made of sprinkles and glitter. Heart eyes emojis everywhere! I promise I’m not high.
I felt like using some of the fancy pants sprinkles shaped like circles, flowers, and rainbow butterflies and thus this mug cake was created. It’s so over the top, and I just embraced it and went a little wild. But man, it was fun.
This recipe actually took a lot of experimenting since my initial recipes were just a little on the dry side. Adding some Greek yogurt ended up being the solution to that problem. The final version is grain-free, gluten-free, low carb, light, and fluffy. Oh, and full o’ sprinkles, so yeah.
Here’s how it finally all came together in it’s delicious mugliness:
- 3 Tbsp coconut flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 3 tsp sugar substitute
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or milk of your choice)
- 1 Tbsp Greek yogurt
- 1 large egg white
- As many sprinkles as you like
- 2 tbsp plain Greek yogurt
- 3-4 drops of liquid stevia
- 1 drop of food coloring
- Add coconut flour and baking powder to a microwave-safe mug or bowl. Mix well.
- Add sugar substitute and almond milk, stirring until no clumps remain.
- Use a fork to beat the egg white until it's fluffy, then mix it into the batter.
- Fold in sprinkles, leaving some to top the cake.
- Microwave on high for 2½ to 3 minutes, depending on microwave.
- Mix together frosting ingredients in a bowl, and pipe onto cake using a piping bag or just a plastic zipper bag with a tiny hole cut into the corner.
- Cover with more sprinkles, and dig in!
Note: if you’re using a larger or taller mug like the one shown here, double this recipe.