If you’re planning a visit to your local apple orchard for apple picking (or, you know, bag-of-apple-picking-up like I do), you may be jonesing for some caramel dip to go with it. It’s easy to snag a dish of premade caramel, but this version is so easy and SO rich and delicious.
The best part is that it’s vegan and only uses a couple of whole, clean-eating ingredients. It can actually be made with literally one ingredient (smooshed Medjool dates), but I like to add a few other things to make the taste that much smoother and yummier.
The real fun of this for me is that I’m making it specifically to drizzle over some fall-themed donuts. Stay tuned for those coming soooon!
- 1 cup fresh Medjool dates, pitted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup almond milk, plus extra for a thinner texture
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- If dates are not very fresh and soft or your food processor isn't very strong, soak them in water for a couple of hours.
- Combine all ingredients except salt in a strong food processor or blender and blend until very smooth. This can take a little while. Add more almond milk as needed for desired texture.
- Once smooth, add in the salt and pulse to combine.
- Chill for at least an hour before serving. If using as a drizzle, heat slightly beforehand.