Already have your tickets to see Star Wars: The Force Awakens? Already wearing your Phasma cosplay?! You’re my kind of people. But if you’re not a fan (or you still need tickets — buy them here!), you can still enjoy these chewy (hehe “Chewy”), rich, and delicious gingerbread cookies in the shape of the majestic Wookiee.
Gingerbread is a bit more of an undertaking than your average cookie, at least if you’re planning to cut them into shapes. That adds a bit of refrigeration and freezing to the step process. It’s worth it, though, if you like fun cookie shapes!
If you don’t like them rustic like these are, the trick is to freeze the dough as long as you can stand it and flour your cookie cutter before each cut. I like them a little more easygoing, myself.
You’re not beholden to the geeky variety of these cookies, either. Get your kiddos together (or your drunk friends) to decorate them however you desire. Wookiees were just an easy leap from the gingerbread man shape.
So, who’s having a movie release party for The Force Awakens?! Can I come? I’ve got more fandom food in this archive if you’re jonesing to make something geeky. Oh, and more cookie recipes! And more desserts! And holiday recipes! Mmmm.
Want more recipes in your life? Sign up to receive recipes via email and follow along on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, Bloglovin, and RSS for all of the latest updates.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature (not melted)
- 1/3 cup dark-brown sugar (or brown sugar substitute blend)
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- Mini chocolate chips, royal icing, and/or pre-made icing gel
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, spices, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
- In a mixer beat butter and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in molasses and egg.
- With mixer on low, add dry ingredients: mix just until a dough forms.
- Place dough on floured plastic wrap or parchment and pat into a square. Wrap and chill until firm, at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Working with one half at a time (rewrap and refrigerate the other half), place dough on floured parchment or waxed paper.
- Roll out 1/8 inch thick, turning, lifting, and flouring dough (and rolling pin) as needed.
- Freeze dough (on paper) until firm, about 20 minutes.
- Loosen dough from paper. Cut out shapes with a gingerbread man cutter.
- Transfer to baking sheets.
- Bake until firm and edges just begin to darken, 12 to 18 minutes.
- Cool completely on baking sheets and decorate with mini chocolate chips and icing as you like to make them look like Wookiees!
If you make this recipe, share a photo and hashtag it #BIJOUXANDBITS. I’d love to see what you’re cooking!