We’re primary voting today in my state, so comfort food is needed stat. Preferably with cheese. And a little sugar. And a cheeseburger. Well, maybe not the cheeseburger part. But yes to cheese!
I may be on a bit of an apricot kick, but after these apricot slow cooker meatballs, can you blame me? Apricot is my jam. Ahem. Plus, I had some preserves left over. So yeah, nothing’s goes to waste, I say. Thankfully, it’s the ideal flavor for this apricot white cheddar grilled cheese sandwich.
You might be squicked out by the ingredient combo here, admit it. Or maybe you’re already on board with the whole fruit and cheese combo. On raisin bread. Grilled in buttuh. (Thanks for all you do, buttuh.) You’re free to swap in your own favorite cheese like brie, mozzarella, or Gruyère, and your preferred jam.
Alternately, you could throw on some sliced apples or peaches, and then add some arugula for a little spicy kick. Ooh, part two, I’m coming for you.
I love these grilled cheeses for grown-ups. Everyone can find a regular ol’ American cheese grilled cheese on a kids’ menu, but sometimes you just want to up the flavor game a little. And seriously, even as I’m writing this I’m getting ideas for more. Cherry preserves and basil? Yesssss.
Here’s how to make this apricot white cheddar grilled cheese:
- 4 slices cinnamon-raisin bread
- 4 oz white cheddar, sliced (I used Kerry Gold Cheddar)
- 2 Tbsp apricot jam or preserves (I used sugar free)
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- Preheat a large skillet on medium-high heat.
- Spread a thin layer of jam on one side of raisin bread. Top with two slices of cheese and a second piece of bread. Butter the outside of each piece of bread.
- Put sandwiches in skillet and cook until bread is golden brown on each side and cheese is melted, about 2-4 minutes per side.
- Remove from skillet, cut in half and enjoy!
If you make this recipe, share a photo and hashtag it #BIJOUXANDBITS. I’d love to see what you’re cooking!