I’ve got a retro salad on the docket that requires a little bit of crunchy-chewy and sweet toasted coconut. Toasting coconut gives it a nutty flavor and a great texture.
It’s super easy, super fast, and yummy as hell on top of ice cream, cupcakes, dessert bars, cookies, and salads. Here’s how to toast coconut for all kinds of recipes.
Need more basic cooking techniques? Check out my basics archive including how to reduce balsamic vinegar and how to make brown butter.
Stay tuned for the dessert salad which was the reason I had to learn how to toast coconut in the first place. It’s coming soon!
Want more recipes in your life? Sign up to receive recipes via email and follow along on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, Bloglovin, and RSS for all of the latest updates.
- Shredded, shaved or flaked coconut
- Sauce pan or baking sheet
- Place coconut flakes in a large skillet, making sure not to overcrowd the flakes.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the flakes are mostly golden brown.
- Sweetened coconut will brown faster, so adjust accordingly. I like mine a little more brown than some.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Spread coconut flakes on a baking sheet in a thin layer.
- Bake for 5-10 minutes, stirring halfway through, until desired toasting is achieved.
- As with the stove top method, sweetened coconut will toast faster.
If you make this recipe, share a photo and hashtag it #BIJOUXANDBITS. I’d love to see what you’re cooking!