I’ve got a retro salad on the docket that requires a little bit of crunchy-chewy and sweet toasted coconut. Toasting coconut gives it a nutty flavor and a great texture.
Stay tuned for the dessert salad which was the reason I had to learn how to toast coconut in the first place. It’s coming soon!
- Shredded, shaved or flaked coconut
- Sauce pan or baking sheet
- Place coconut flakes in a large skillet, making sure not to overcrowd the flakes.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the flakes are mostly golden brown.
- Sweetened coconut will brown faster, so adjust accordingly. I like mine a little more brown than some.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Spread coconut flakes on a baking sheet in a thin layer.
- Bake for 5-10 minutes, stirring halfway through, until desired toasting is achieved.
- As with the stove top method, sweetened coconut will toast faster.
If you make this recipe, share a photo and hashtag it #BIJOUXANDBITS. I’d love to see what you’re cooking!