Okay, so #pizzaforpresident, right? Pizza is king and we all know it. But wait, waffles are also king… how do we merge these superpowers into one major alliance for the senses? That’s correct: with pepperoni pizza waffles. Waffles stuffed full of nasty, cheesy pizza-ness. You knew you wanted it before you even knew it existed, didn’t you?
As always with pizza, you can pretty much smoosh in whatever meats, veggies, and dough styles you like. Then waffle-ize it in your waffle iron. And then have a grand time cleaning out the cheese from the iron itself. It’s definitely my least favorite part of waffling anything.
Oh, but it’s worth it and you know it. Ooey gooey cheesy waffley goodness is your reward.
How are you customizing your waffles these days, if you’re into that? I love that with a simple dough or pancake recipe, you can create any kidn of waffle you want: Nutella-filled, fruit-filled, and of course, pizza-filled.
This is what happens when you fill a waffle with CHEEESE…
- Lemon poppy seed waffles
- Caramelized onion, fig, and ricotta pizza
- Sweet potato pizza with avocado cream
- Elote pizza (Mexican street food charred corn pizza)
- 1 batch homemade pizza dough (recipe here), pre-made pizza dough, or 1 can refrigerated biscuit dough (like Grands)
- 8 slices fresh, grated, or sliced mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup premade pizza sauce or marinara sauce
- 1/3 cup salami, prosciutto, pepperoni, or meat of your choice
- Veggies and other fillings to taste (I used sliced Roma tomatoes and spinach)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- Flour for dusting
- Spray waffle iron with cooking spray and heat to high.
- In a small bowl, mix together olive oil and seasonings. Set aside.
- Separate pizza dough or biscuits into 4-8 pieces, depending on how large you want them. Roll dough into a round shape, about 1/2 inch thick.
- Brush the inside of each dough piece with the olive oil mixture and a little pizza sauce.
- Place 1 slice of mozzarella cheese on top of one of the halves of the dough pieces. Top the cheese with the rest of your toppings as you like.
- Top each piece of dough with a separate piece and press around the edges to seal.
- Cook in the waffle for around 2-4 minutes until golden. Serve with any extra tomato sauce for dipping.
If you make this recipe, share a photo and hashtag it #BIJOUXANDBITS. I’d love to see what you’re cooking!