This sweet potato pizza recipe came from a simple desire to spread some pureed sweet potato onto a homemade crust and see what happens. And have it taste really really good. So what do you do when you want something to taste ultra yummy? Add in caramelized onions! And sriracha! And avocado cream sauce! And arugula! And Parmesan cheese!
I know it sounds a little weird, and it was most definitely experimental, but it totally worked out. I promise. It’s a little sweet from the sweet potatoes and onions, a little spicy from the sriracha and arugula, a little creamy from the avo cream sauce and cheese, and so so good.
Like any normal human being, I love pizza of all kinds. But the flatbread revolution has opened up the doors to “pizza” with pretty much anything on bread. Or anything on cauliflower crust, or tortillas, or any flat surface. I realize I’m turning pizza into any food at all. But hey, cut it into squares or triangles and it’ll be reminiscent.
This is my motto:
Want more homemade pizza recipes? I’ve got a couple you might love. Make them an easy weeknight dinner by using a pre-made crust or pre-made pizza dough:
- Elote pizza (Mexican street food charred corn pizza)
- Caramelized onion, fig, and ricotta pizza
- Pizza archives
Oh hello, perfectly rip avocado. You’re my favorite. And you’ll be becoming a sauce soon enough.
Check out that beautiful steam footage. It was tempting to just sprinkle one of these sweet potatoes with brown sugar and butter and go to town. But I was on a mission. A mission for sweet potato pizza…
Use as much sriracha (or any hot sauce of your choice!) as you like. If you’re down with spice town, use a lot!
I am never capable of making a pizza crust perfectly round. I envy those pizza chefs who can swing it around over your head. But I figure the irregular shape gives it a little rustic character. 😉
And we’re assembled!
Want more recipes in your life? Sign up to receive recipes via email and follow along on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, Bloglovin, and RSS for all of the latest updates.
- 1 recipe homemade pizza crust (found here, or store bought)
- 2 handfuls fresh arugula
- 2 oz shaved Parmesan cheese (or cheese/vegan cheese of your choice)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp cornmeal
- 1 medium-sized white onion, diced and caramelized
- 3 medium-sized sweet potatoes
- 1 tsp sriracha (or more, depending on your preferred spice level)
- 1/2 to 1 cup milk or vegan milk of your choice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup heavy cream, full-fat milk, or nut milk of your choice
- Juice of 1 small lime (about 2 Tbsp)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Pierce the sweet potato skin 5-6 times with a fork or knife.
- Microwave the sweet potatoes on high for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender, turning once during cooking.
- Peel and chop the sweet potatoes and blend in a mixer or food processor with the milk/cream until smooth, adding more milk if needed.
- Mix in salt, pepper, and sriracha. Set aside.
- Slice the avocado in half and remove the pit.
- Scoop into a food processor and add the milk, lime juice, and salt. Blend until smooth, adding more milk if needed, and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Preheat oven to 500F.
- Sprinkle some cornmeal on a cutting board, pizza peel, or skillet and turn the dough out onto the cornmeal and roll into a 14-inch circle. Brush the top with olive oil and poke some holes into it with a fork.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until the crust begins to brown.
- Let the crust cool for about 5 minutes. Spread on the sweet potato sauce, and top with fresh arugula, caramelized onions, and shaved Parmesan. Drizzle with the avocado cream and add any additional salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
If you make this recipe, share a photo and hashtag it #BIJOUXANDBITS. I’d love to see what you’re cooking!