New year’s eve is coming soon and I decided to go low-key with a super easy, foolproof Asian snack mix that is a little twist on your traditional Chex mix.
What I like about these baked snack mixes is that you’re able to slather on any kind of liquid and powder flavorings and it bakes right into it. If you’ve ever tried to sprinkle dry flavor powder onto dry popcorn, you know how much of the flavor you lose to the bottom of the bowl. So no matter what sauces or flavorings you want to add, it’ll be baked right in.
Plus the baking process makes everything nice and crunchy.
You can actually substitute the liquids in this recipe for any Asian-inspired marinade or sauce like teriyaki sauce, Szechuan sauce, General Tso’s sauce, or whatever flavored sauce you like. You’ll get different results, but it’s definitely flexible.
See how much more brown the crispy parts get once they’re baked? Covered in deliciousness and ready to be snacked on.
Want more recipes in your life?
Sign up to receive recipes via email and follow along on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, Bloglovin, and RSS for all of the latest updates.
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, cut into tablespoon-sized pieces
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar (I used Truvia brown sugar blend)
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil (I used this one)
- 1 tsp Sriracha sauce (or other hot sauce)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 cups popped plain popcorn
- 1 cup chow mein noodles
- 2 cups sesame sticks (like these)
- 2 cups mini pretzels
- 1/2 cup wasabi peas (or plain roasted peas)
- 1 cup dry-roasted peanuts
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat and whisk in brown sugar, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, toasted sesame oil, Sriracha, and garlic powder. Remove from heat.
- Combine popcorn, sesame sticks, chow mein noodles, peanuts, pretzels, and wasabi peas in a large bowl. Drizzle with liquid mixture and toss well to coat.
- Spread evenly on a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake, stirring every 15 minutes, for 45 minutes to an hour. Remove once they are browned and crisped to your liking.
- Cool completely in pans and store in a sealed container until ready to serve.
If you make this recipe, share a photo and hashtag it #BIJOUXANDBITS. I’d love to see what you’re cooking!
Adapted from Epicurious