This basic cream cheese frosting recipe is sugar free, low carb/keto, gluten free, and totally ready to be adapted into anything you like. It is creamy dreamy as-is, but can also become the basis for any kind of frosting or dip you can dream up.
Seriously, you can add in flavorings like lemon, maple, cinnamon, chocolate, etc. and the world is your oyster. I am using this particular batch on an upcoming keto carrot cake recipe (coming soon!). So basic cream cheese frosting was all that was needed. Well, that and a dash of my favorite grain-free keto granola on top.
I also love taking a cream cheese frosting base and adding other flavors since it still retains a bit of that cream cheese tang which keeps it from being overly sweet. You can replace almost any kind of buttercream frosting with a flavored cream cheese frosting and it’ll be just as good.
If you don’t want cake, you can use this to spread on graham crackers, cookies, inside whoopie pies, or scooped up with a spoon and covered in sprinkles! Yum.
This carrot cake recipe is coming sooooon! Watch this space. In the meantime, you can make that granola you see adorning the top of the cake with this recipe.
Want more recipes in your life?
- 4 oz light cream cheese (softened and cut into small pieces)
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter (softened and cut into small pieces)
- 1/2 cup powdered sweetener (I used Swerve powdered erythritol)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Tiny pinch of salt
- 1-2 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
- In a medium bowl or standing mixer, beat the cream cheese, butter, sweetener, salt, and vanilla extract until combined.
- Add in the heavy whipping cream a little at a time and continue to beat until smooth and fluffy and the thickness you want.
- Store for up to three days in the refrigerator and slather on everything!
If you make this recipe, follow me on Instagram, share a photo, and tag it @BIJOUXANDBITS. I’d love to see what you’re cooking!