My favorite cheese ever is smoked Gouda. Gouda non-smoked is not anywhere near the top of the list for some reason. But that smokiness just makes my day. So when I wanted to give some flavor depth to some low carb mash cauliflower, smoked Gouda was an obvious choice. Oh, and to add a little salty deliciousness? You’ve got it: pancetta.
Whizzing up cauliflower is actually really easy and doesn’t come with the gluey mess problem when you blend or process potatoes. Less starch means you can make these as smooth and creamy as you like. I went with a slightly chunkier version, but don’t be afraid to go smooooth. Plus, cauliflower is super low calorie and low carb for anyone watching those macros at your Thanksgiving or Christmas table.
Don’t worry, I added a ton of calories back in the form of cheese and bacon, don’t you worry.
- 3 cups cauliflower florets (or pre-riced, if you prefer)
- 1½ Tbsp heavy cream
- 1½ Tbsp butter
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 4 slices of cooked, sliced pancetta
- ¼ cup shredded Smoked Gouda cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the cauliflower, heavy cream, butter, salt, pepper, and garlic powder in a microwave safe dish.
- Microwave on high for 14 - 17 minutes, until it's nice and soft.
- Transfer the cauliflower and liquid to a food processor. Blend for two minutes until mostly mashed.
- Add pancetta and smoked Gouda and blend until desired smoothness.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.