Ricotta has got to be one of the most versatile foods ever invented. Mix it with marinara, fruit, coffee, chocolate, your cat, a house… you get it. This stuff is magically delicious any way you mix it.
For this recipe, I used whole milk ricotta bringing it to a new level of creaminess and bad-for-you-ness. Just kidding, a little fat never did us wrong. But feel free to replace with part skim or even fat free if that fits your needs better.
The best part of this recipe is that when it’s almost done, the blueberries start getting all hot and bothered and oozing up to the top. Then I sprinkled on some sliced almonds right at the end of the baking time which made them all crispy and golden. Sigh.
Let’s talk about how easy this really is:
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 3 tablespoons honey, maple syrup, or sweetener of your choice (I used 1 teaspoon liquid stevia)
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Optional: sliced almonds for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a medium bowl, combine all of your ingredients, leaving some blueberries out to coat the bottom of the dishes.
- Pour the ricotta mixture on top of tbe blueberry layer.
- Bake about 15-25 minutes until set and the ricotta starts to turn a light golden color. The blueberries will be bubbling up to the top a bit.
- Optional: in the last few minutes of baking, sprinkle on some sliced almonds for garnish.
- Serve warm or chilled if you prefer. It's great both ways.
Macros for 1 serving (half of the batch), if using stevia as your sweetener:
223 calories | 15.5g fat | 9.4g carbs | 5g sugar | 11g protein | 2.5g fiber
I have never tried a ricotta bake, but will be this week! Looks amazing!! What makes the carbs so high? Is it in the ricotta or the blueberries? Was thinking about eliminating the fruit if that’s the issue. Thanks for your help.
You got it, it’s the blueberries. Feel free to lower the amount as they work just as well as more of a garnish. 🙂
Thank you so much! I just made this with a home-made seedless blackberry swirl. AMAZING
Holy moly, I could go for that right now!
WOW! This tastes amazing! I made mine with regular flour because that’s what I have on hand. Used maple syrup as a sweetener. I will absolutely make this again and again. Thank-you!