Do you ever get to that point in your fridge life (hashbrown #fridgelife?) when you’ve officially bought too many ingredients, your freezer is too full, and you’re looking for ways to combine everything you have into one recipe that you can just dish out instead of freezing? Yep, I’m there.
I’d love to invest in one of those standalone freezers, but I feel like it would be one of those “expands to fill the space” deals where I just make more stuff to put in there. Plus, I’m in spending fast mode anyway. Maybe later, standalone freezer dreams!
We’re going to talk about using up some ingredients today… in the form of this decadent blueberry, basil, brie, and mascarpone sandwich. I’m using up some leftover blueberries, mascarpone cheese, a little slicing brie, and some of my garden basil for this savory sammie. Yep, this is a lot of leftover ingredients from earlier this week, in the balsamic strawberries with mascarpone cream recipe. But I assure you, we’re using them in a very different, non-dessert way. Plus, I’m adding a pretty weird ingredient that TOTALLY WORKS, I swear.
Things get a little strange here, I’ll grant you. But when you’re talking about smooth mascarpone, mild brie, and just a little tartness from the blueberries, you need something to crank up the tang. I decided to spread a little whole grain dijon mustard on one side of the bread just to ramp it up, taste-wise. And it worked! Here’s how the rest of it went down:
- Handful of fresh blueberries
- 1 ounce slicing brie
- 2 tablespoons mascarpone
- 1 teaspoon whole grain dijon mustard
- A few leaves of fresh basil
- Bread of your choice (I used this low carb bread)
- Cooking spray
- Sizzle the blueberries in a very low frying pan sprayed with a little cooking spray for about 3 minutes to get them juicy and blistered.
- Layer your brie, mascarpone, dijon mustard, basil, and blueberries onto your bread.
- Spray a pan with more cooking spray and toast the sandwich until lightly browned and your cheese is bubbly.
- Serve warm.
Don’t miss this mean green pesto avocado sandwich, too!