Frittatas and quiche are kick-ass for clearing out the fridge. I had some leftover broccoli and I always have spinach sitting around for green smoothie purposes, so I overloaded this frittata with greens. You can feel free to substitute any veggies you want: onions, asparagus, green peppers… whatever you’ve got on hand.
I also wanted to make use of the ol’ cast iron skillet since I nabbed a new silicone handle for it. Love that thing.
I used half egg whites in addition to some full eggs to lighten it up a little. I further shaved a few calories by using TONs of spinach. Once you wilt it, you can just keep adding more and more forever.
I also used a little of one of my fave spices, 21 Seasoning Salute from Trader Joe’s. You can substitute any spice you like, though. Red pepper flakes and thyme make great additions.
That’s nearly four cups of spinach! It’s amazing how it reduces in size.
Let’s talk about this recipe:
- 1 cup fresh broccoli, chopped
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup cheddar (I used Kerrygold Reserve)
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup ricotta light
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp 21 seasoning salute (optional)
- 2 tbsp oil of your choice (I used avocado oil since it has a high smoke point)
- 4 large eggs
- 3 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat your oil in an oven-safe skillet (I used Lodge cast iron with a silicone handle) over medium-low heat and wilt your veggies.
- Whisk eggs, water, and spices in a bowl and pour onto the wilted veggies.
- Reduce heat to low and let the frittata cook undisturbed, for about 6-9 minutes, until the edges are firm and the middle is starting to bubble.
- Remove from heat and dab the ricotta around the top.
- Lay tomato slices around the top and sprinkle with the rest of the cheese.
- Place the frittata in the oven for 25-30 minutes, until the middle is set and the top is golden brown.
- Let the frittata cool for 5 minutes before serving and enjoy!
Macros for 1/8 of the frittata:
117 calories | 6.7g fat | 1.4g fiber | 10.4g protein | 3.65g carbs
What do you like in your frittatas?