I’ve been experimenting with shirataki noodles (aka Miracle Noodles), the no-carb, almost no-calorie noodles made from water and soluable fiber. They’re virtually tasteless so, like tofu, can slurp up the flavor of whatever sauce you want. I decided to whip up a homemade version of peanut sauce with carrots and snow peas for a quick and low-calorie stir fry.
colander, pat them dry in a cloth or paper towel, and then give them a sizzle in a nonstick pan for a couple of minutes, stirring frequently. Alternately, microwaving them for about a minute also works pretty well.
The peanut sauce is a bit of a hodge-podge based on what I had, but turned out so tasty — like, lick-the-bowl tasty. Not that I did that. Ahem. I like mine a little on the less spicy side, so feel free to add in red pepper flakes or hot sauce if that’s your style.
Let’s see how it’s made AND check out the skimpy calories and carbs!
- 2 tbsp PB2 or creamy peanut butter
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp sesame or peanut oil
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- 1 package (8 ounces) shirataki noodles, spaghetti-style
- Vegetables of your choice (I used snow peas and shredded carrots)
- Optional garnish: peanuts, toasted sesame seeds, green onions, cilantro
- Mix together all ingredients and let sit for 30 minutes for the flavors to meld.
- Store the sauce covered in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Rinse and drain the shirataki noodles well and dry them on a cloth or paper towel.
- In a dry nonstick pan, heat the noodles on medium-low for a few minutes to dry them out.
- Chop up your chosen vegetables and add them to the noodles in the pan. Saute for a couple more minutes to heat through.
- Add peanut sauce to the pan and mix well.
- Optional: Garnish with peanuts, toasted sesame seeds, and green onions or cilantro.
Macros for 1 serving (half of the recipe including peanut and sesame seed garnish):
111 calories | 6.5g fat | 4g fiber | 2.5g sugar | 4.5g protein | 9g carbs
If you make this recipe, share a photo and hashtag it #BIJOUXANDBITS. I’d love to see what you’re cooking!