I was doing some car recipe brainstorming (second only to restaurant napkin brainstorming), and got an idea for a reverse Oreo mousse-type of dealie that would flip the chocolate to the inside and provide a cheesecake-y, creamy base for dipping and scooping.
It actually turned out to be less “inside out” and more plain ol’ trifle-style, which is fine by me. It still tasted delish.
If the base of this mousse looks familiar, it’s because you’ve seen it already in this candy corn cheesecake mousse. Or at least it’s similar. Clicky the photo to the right to find that recipe!
It all started out in these tiny bowls and ended up being mixed up with a bunch more crushed Oreos and delivered elsewhere so it didn’t reside with me. Too good, must evacuate!
While this absolutely isn’t a Halloween recipe (find all my Halloween recipes here!), I styled the shots all Halloween-y anyway. I’m in the mood, feel free to judge.
Want more recipes in your life? Sign up to receive recipes via email and follow along on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, Bloglovin, and RSS for all of the latest updates.
- 8 oz light cream cheese
- 8 oz light Cool Whip, thawed
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar substitute (like Swerve)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package chocolate sandwich cookies like Oreos, with the cream of about 6 cookies scooped out
- Beat cream cheese in an electric mixer until smooth.
- While mixing on low, slowly add powdered sugar substitute.
- Add in the inner Oreo cream and continue to mix.
- Mix together the almond milk and vanilla extract and slowly pour into the mixture.
- Beat on medium speed until mixed.
- Gently fold Cool Whip into cream cheese mixture until just combined.
- Crush Oreos with a rolling pin inside of a plastic zip bag.
- Layer the cream and crushed Oreos in small trifle dishes or small clear bowls.
- Garnish with additional Oreos and serve well chilled.