We had our first snow this past weekend in Chicago which, while super cold (especially at a college football game I attended!), gets me in the moooood for the holidays. Good thing they’re right around the corner.
This recipe is so fast and easy, but super rich and decadent. There are lots of ways to make white hot chocolate, like with a good powder mix like Stephen’s Gourmet, Bellagio, or Ghiradelli. But my favorite it going right to the source: white chocolate bars. I used Green & Black’s Organic white chocolate bar, but some other good ones are Ghiradelli, Lindt, and Milka.
I’ve also been a mint flavor avoider in the past, but I’ve come around to mint + dessert flavors in the past years and now can’t get enough. This faux shamrock shake was a recent favorite.
You can easily adapt this recipe to swap out the flavors if you’re not into peppermint. Add in some orange extract, a little Bailey’s Irish Cream, or just plain vanilla works like a charm. I mean, it’s white chocolate — you can’t go wrong.
If you do stick with peppermint flavor, you won’t regret it AND you get to sprinkle with candy cane pieces making it ten times more fun for serving.
If you’re still planning your Thanksgiving menu, feel free to check out my easy and nontraditional Thanksgiving menu here for some ideas including spiced butternut squash hummus, Harry Potter-inspired pumpkin pasties, roasted hasselback sweet potatoes, and apple pecan crumble pie.
There are loads of holiday recipes here, too.
- 2 cups of milk of your choice
- 4 oz. high-quality white chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Stir milk and white chocolate together in a medium saucepan.
- Cook over low heat, stirring until the mixture comes to just a simmer and the chocolate melts.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and peppermint extracts.
- Serve warm with biscuits, candy canes, peppermints, marshmallows, or anything you like!
If you make this recipe, share a photo and hashtag it #BIJOUXANDBITS. I’d love to see what you’re cooking!