I like to supplement my meals with various low sugar protein and/or grain bars, like Quest or Lara Bars, on occasion. Mostly when I’m short on time and want to throw something in my bag for snackies later. They’re better than some alternatives, at least, especially at the comic book convention I recently attended where pizza was essentially the best offering. I may have seen a banana, actually. But I digress!
I figured I could probably make something similar at home on the cheap with some clean ingredients and protein powder. Enter these vegan apple pecan pie protein bites which harness the power of gluten free oat flour (or whole wheat flour), apple sauce, old-fashioned oats, pecans, spices, and of course, protein powder.
These apple pecan pie protein bites actually feel like a much lighter version of this apple pecan crumble pie I made back around Thanksgiving. Both are yummy, but this version is a little less splurge-y. And less baking. And more portable.
Either way, if you’re into apples, you’ll probably like both of them.
If you’re looking for a totally clean-eating recipe, you can omit the protein powder altogether from the protein bites and rock your whole food ingredients as-is. You may need to supplement the dough with a little extra flour, though.
Who doesn’t love a good no-bake recipe? It needs to chill, but that’s no work at least. We all need to chill sometimes, anyway. 😉 I’ve got a few more no-bake recipes here. These peanut butter cup and cookie dough protein truffles are favorites of mine.
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup almond butter or nut butter of your choice
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp apple pie spice
- 2 cups oat flour or whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup crushed pecans
- 1/3 cup vanilla low sugar protein powder (I used Quest)
- Combine applesauce, maple syrup, nut butter, and spices in a large bowl.
- Slowly add flour, pecans, and protein powder to the wet ingredients, and stir together until just combined.
- Pat the dough onto a flat, floured surface and work it into the flour until it's no longer sticky.
- Roll the dough into a ball and place the in an 8x8 inch baking dish lined with parchment.
- Flatten the dough until it fills the dish, then cover and refrigerate for about an hour.
- Remove from the refrigerator after it sets up and cut into squares or bars.
- Cut into small squares or bars for serving.
- Store well-wrapped in the refrigerator.
If you make this recipe, share a photo and hashtag it #BIJOUXANDBITS. I’d love to see what you’re cooking!