Hello all you scruffy-looking nerf herders! The next installment in the newest Star Wars reboot, The Last Jedi, is coming out this weekend and we’re psyched here in this household. Plus, any excuse for party food is a good excuse in my book. So let’s party it up Jedi-style with these ideas for Star Wars premiere party food. Pre-game the new movie or chow down while re-watching the rest. Yep, even the prequels. 😉
Leia Cinnamon Buns
Okay, so this one’s a gimme. But I actually did not see many actual cinnamon rolls being used for Star Wars food in my research! You’d think that would be an easy choice. Mostly because YUM.
For the best Leia bun hair effect these are sans frosting, but I included a frosting addition to the recipe because of course!
- 2 packages yeast (4 1/2 tsp) + 1 cup lukewarm water
- 6 Tbsp shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar or sugar substitute (I use Swerve)
- 8 cups all-purpose flour (plus more, if needed)
- 2 cups hot water
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 Tbsp salt
- Softened butter (about 1/2 cup)
- Brown sugar (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 Tbsp cinnamon
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar (I use Swerve)
- 2 Tbsp butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp milk
- Add yeast to cup of lukewarm water. Set aside for about five minutes.
- In a mixer with the paddle attachment, add shortening, sugar, and salt to hot water and beat for 20-30 seconds. Stir in 2 cups of flour and combine until smooth. Add yeast mixture and mix until combined. Mix in the beaten eggs.
- Gradually stir in the remaining flour and mix with the dough hook for about 2 minutes. Remove dough from the bowl and place on a lightly floured surface. Knead, adding a little flour if the dough is sticky. Knead until dough is smooth.
- Cover and let rise for 30 minutes. After the dough has doubled in size, remove it from the bowl and divide it in half. With a rolling pin, roll one half of the dough into a rectangular shape. Spread dough evenly with half of the softened butter. Sprinkle dough with half of the brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Roll up dough into one long roll. Cut rolls, using a piece of unflavored dental floss or thread, about two inches thick. Place rolls in greased 9x13 baking pans. Follow the same steps with the other half of the dough.
- Let the rolls rise until doubled. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake for 18-28 minutes or until they are golden brown on top and cooked in the middle.
- Mix the confectioners' sugar, butter, and vanilla together.
- Add about half the milk and stir in to make a thick glaze, adding tiny amounts more milk as needed to reach the consistency you prefer.
- Spread over cooled cinnamon rolls.
- Adapted from Betty Crocker
Any excuse to remember Carrie Fisher. Sigh.
Bantha Blue Milkshakes
According to Wookieepedia, Blue Milk (or Bantha Milk) was used for drinking, but also for butter, yogurt, and ice cream. So I decided to up the Blue Milk game by making Blue Milkshakes! I served them in tall shot glasses so that you can save room for all of the other goodies and not fill up on yummy blue shake. Although it’s tempting.
Bantha blue milkshake recipe
I used my recipe for a toasted marshmallow milkshake (found here!) with the addition of a couple of drops of blue food coloring (I used Wilton brand).
Just watch out for Tookas and Loth-Cats who apparently also want to get in on the milkshake action. Naw, dude, naw!
Stormtrooper Cheese Ball
I took my inspiration from this amazing Stormtrooper cheese ball tutorial and made it smaller and adapted the recipe a bit. It miiiiight look more like an Oogie Boogie cheese ball if I’m honest, though. Good thing I love him, too. Feel free to make yours less Oogie, more Stormtrooper-y.
Stormtrooper cheese ball recipe
Here’s the recipe if you want to try it out (and see how they can look a little more like Stormtroopers!).
Wait, does this look like a weird cat…
Gingerbread Wookiee Cookies
Gingerbread Wookiee Cookies recipe
I love Star Wars movies releases since they usually fall around the holidays and I can whip up some gingerbread wookiee cookies. I originally made these two years ago for the release of The Force Awakens. Find the recipe here!
Will you be seeing The Last Jedi?!